Historic photographs of Colchester’s St Helena School
Here we take another look at the history of a Colchester secondary school with the help of our picture library.
St Helena School opened in Colchester in 1938, and was originally two separate schools – one for boys and another for girls.
The site of St Helena’s, in Sheepen Road, was previously home to a Roman temple, built in 90AD, which archaeologists discovered in the 1930s.
The original school building still stands and two major extensions have increased its capacity from 720 to more than 1,000.
Thousands of pupils have passed though the school in its 78 years.