Memories: Recalling days at St Helena school
As students receive their exam results in the next two weeks though many of us will be looking back at out own school days
These vintage images capture moments from life at one of Colchester’s secondary schools going back to the 1940s.
The St Helena School opened in 1938 and began life as two schools – one of the boys and the other for girls.
But the site dates back even further than that – to Roman times when it was home to a temple built in 90AD.
Archaeologists discovered its existence ins the 1930s, but the secondary school itself was opened in Sheepen road, opposite the Colchester Institute by Kenneth Lindsay, who was parliamentary Secretary for Education at the time for Education.